There are many gadgets used in professional water damage cleaning. This innovative
Equipment is used to solve water damage problems. This guide will take a look at common gadgets used for water damage restoration.
1. Air Mover: This is a commercial-grade high-speed fan made to evaporate the water in the carpet. Air movers are not your regular fans. They are used for drying of water
damaged areas in homes and offices. Usually, the size of the damaged area determines the
number of air movers that will be required.
The functionality of air movers is based on the venturi effect; which is the reduction in the flow
of pressure that occurs when a fluid passes through a tightened section of a pipe. In the air
mover, the venturi effect occurs when a small amount of air of high velocity, which is connected to the side of the casting, flows through a nozzle. This then causes low-velocity air in a large volume to pass through the venturi of the air mover and then flow out. Pressure switches are usually used to indicate air failure whenever the airflow falls below a particular pre-set value. This is usually used to make sure that the air mover is in proper working condition. If the system fails while working, it can cause contamination of optical instruments and in order to avoid this, an alarm will usually go off or protective shutters will be activated any time the airflow drops. Also, as a precautionary measure in dusty environments filters are attached to allow air movers to let in and collect large particles. In cases of extreme dust, filter systems with double filtration are usually used with air movers.
2. Air Scrubbers: These are devices that are used to remove odors and contaminants from the
air. There are many microscopic creatures living in the air which sometimes cause allergies. These air scrubbers are used to get rid of them. Some air scrubbers are designed to fit into the existing HVAC systems of homes and offices. Sometimes they may be used as a permanent attachment to the existing ductwork, other times they may just be used as a portable air purifier without any attachment to ductwork. Some air scrubbers also help to clean the surface in the home as well as cleaning and purifying indoor air.
Air scrubbers are high volume devices not only used in water damage restoration but
in the mold remediation processes as well. Air scrubbers are also used by renovation companies and others to help improve the quality of the air in an environment.
3. Dehumidifier: These are appliances that are used to reduce and maintain humidity levels in the air. They are also used to get rid of musty odors and prevent mold growth by extracting water from the air. Dehumidifiers can be used in homes, offices, or large industries. Dehumidifiers generally work by extracting water from the air that passes through them. These electrical appliances are major of two types – absorption dehumidifiers and condensate dehumidifiers.
a) Absorption dehumidifiers work by bonding moisture in the air with hydrophilic materials like silica gel. Absorption dehumidifiers are also known as desiccant dehumidifiers. Domestic use absorption dehumidifiers usually contain gel, powder, and cartridges made of hydrophilic substances. These hydrophilic substances are made to be single-use. For the industrial or
commercial desiccant dehumidifiers, they contain hot air recovery systems that remove moist air from outside the room.
b) Condensate dehumidifiers make use of an inbuilt refrigerator to collect water from the air.
This collected water is called the condensate. Condensates most times are usually grey water which may or may not be reused for industrial purposes. You might even find some condensate dehumidifiers that contain reverse osmosis filters which turn the grey water into clean water.
4. Fogging machine: As a result of the water damage, unpleasant odors may linger in the. environment. Technicians make use of foggers to help you deal with nasty odors. This fogging machine makes use of pressure to make a fine mist that is applied to the affected area. The fine mist (or fog) has the ability to penetrate into deep corners and porous surfaces which may have been harboring unpleasant odors. Foggers come with a manual valve to control the spray density.
5. Truck mount: A powerful engine inside of our water damage vehicles capable of extracting
thousands of gallons of water quickly. Water damage can lead to severe problems of mold
growth and in the case of a flood, it is important to clear water from surfaces as fast as possible to prevent further damage. With a powerful truck mount, you can be sure this gadget can salvage these types of situations very quickly. This is for some heavy-duty cleaning and isn’t recommended for beginners to home renovation so you will need to get some outside help from a staffing app.
6. PPE Kit: The other equipment that you will most likely see technicians using are PPEs –
personal protective equipment. Water damage, especially water damage caused by floods, may introduce some hazards into the water and into your home. Some of these hazards include pesticides, industrial chemicals, household chemicals, cleaning solutions, sewage, flammable liquids, and more. There are also physical hazards that could come up as a result of the water damage which may not be easily visible. Some of these physical hazards include drainage openings, debris, depressions, and in some cases, reptiles and other animals. Hence why people that want to do water damage restoration of the more extreme nature would need to wear and use PPE Kits. Personal protective equipment kits contain boots that are watertight and properly electrically insulated. Technicians are also given respirators and hearing protection equipment. The PPE kit also comes with goggles and full-face shields depending on the severity of the water damage. The gloves in PPE kits are also waterproof and cut resistant. Hip waders are also available depending on the extent of water damage.
Water damage can be a very big problem and the process of restoration and mitigation can be quite challenging. Thanks to the technical equipment however, water damage cleaning can be done safely and efficiently.