Home renovation is not an easy task. It needs extensive planning, design ideas and last but not the least perfect execution. Many people make mistakes while renovating their homes and end up spending more than they budgeted or live with designs they do not like. A few mistakes to avoid are given below:
1. Always buy the best products and materials. Many people try to cut corners and opt for cheap materials and products. You should know that cheap materials deteriorate fast and you would need to replace them faster, hence it is better to get the best materials and products. If you are unable to buy the best, it is always better to wait and then do the renovation when you have the required finances to buy the best.
2. Never skip the planning process. Proper planning is half the victory. Planning is a tiring job; you need to prepare everything for the renovation. This way you will save a lot of time too.
3. Do not ignore lighting because proper lighting can improve the look of your home and lighten the mood in the rooms. Nowadays you get energy saving lighting and you should invest in those. Even if they are a little costly, you will get back your investment over time as you will be saving a lot on exorbitant energy bills.
4. When you have a renovation planned, a major problem is to move the furniture and other important items from one place to another. Frequent moving of furniture and other articles could damage them. The ideal thing to do is to use a self-storage unit where you can store your furniture and belongings and bring it back once the work is done. If you feel that finding a storage unit would be difficult, then you are wrong, all you need to do is to type in the words plus the name of the city or state that you are residing in to get results on search engines. For example if you are staying in San Antonio just type “public storage San Antonio” and you will get a list. Do a due diligence and select the storage unit that is right for you. Another mistake that many people do usually is to hire a storage unit that is too small or too large. If you hire a small unit, it will naturally defeat the purpose of your hiring a storage unit and if you hire a very large unit you will only be wasting money. You should speak to a representative at the storage unit with you needs and they will help you in hiring the right size unit. Also you should keep everything organized and in a systematic way in the unit. If you keep everything categorized and in boxes, it will be easy for you to take them back when the renovation work is completed. Some items may have sentimental value but they may not match the renovation and in such cases you can keep them in the unit. You can hire a smaller unit for the long term and keep books and other items that you do not need at present.
5. Another common mistake that many people do while in the process of renovation is to opt for the latest fad. They see something which they like in their friend’s or relative’s home and they feel that it would suit their house. The point is most fads come and go, they do not stay long. It means that what you like today would be an old design in a few months. It is better to opt for time tested designs. These have withstood the test of time and still going strong. You should opt for such designs.
6. When you undertake a task of this magnitude, you should know that if something wrong has to happen, it will. Be ready for such situations. Do not get stressed. Many people make the mistake of getting stressed and eventually spoil their health. Every problem has a solution and you will be able to get that solution, so just go with the flow and you will successfully renovate your home.